September 13, 2011

Just Peachy

Old news, right. Really old. Canning that is. Lots of preserving of summer's yield all season long. With moving and apartment living I have yet to do much preserving this year. No garden, means no excess of anything, planned or otherwise. 

Other than my living at home years I've always done it alone. Which is fine, still a satisfying outcome. This year when a bushel of peaches ordered through my mama came in ready to use a couple weeks back. I packed up the littles and my jars at our first opportunity and headed to the farm for a group canning session. One really full day of work and a few hours on a second day - done. Three bushels of peaches in jars, pies or bellies.



Pictures by my papa. 
My baby brother seen in the first picture did not help, just caught in the picture as he snagged a peach (or three) to eat. I don't think I've had the pleasure of spending that much chatty time with my sister-in-law, and she's been around for some years now. It sure was nice.


Sure is nice to look at these lovelies too! Waiting to be joined by raspberry jam, apple sauce and pears. Fruity goodness to take with us into winter.


Totally not peach related...we came at just the right time to see the Monarch come out of its chrysalis. We had done this many, many times as I was growing up. I so wanted to share this with Piper this year. I combed the bike path near our apartment for a caterpillar on milkweed. Alas, I was looking too early - as they had only found their's a couple weeks before. I was elated when I saw the jar with a milkweed stem and chrysalis on the dining room table when we arrived. And over joyed when the butterfly emerged over night, that I could share this magic with Piper. Both kids stared and gently stroked the wings. Later, after enough practice and strength had been gained, my mama set it out on the porch and it flew away. Another of nature's amazing gifts off on its journey.

No comments: